Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 11, 2010






My son and I have been housebound for the last two days due to the storm coming back and dumping another 6-10 inches on in Sussex and Kent counties. Our only ties have been by way of the radio, telephone and internet. I've enjoyed this time at home with Wade, my son. I've been cooking and eating too much and trying to get caught up on a little work at home that I've been wanting to get done. That part has been slow. I've enjoyed watching movies I've been intending to watch for the last two weeks and I started this blog, which I'm happy about.

I think everyone's more than tired of the snow, but of course, what can we really do about it. The workers who have been out on the road in Milton have been awesome. The house I rent is right on the corner of two main roads through Milton that always see a lot of activity. I heard the snow plows and tractors all yesterday and today moving through when noone else was or could be out on the road. At one point I couldn't see the lake or house across the street. "whiteout" they call it. Pretty much that's all I could see, white, almost blinding, snow. I was glad to stay in. I know this wasn't good for many of the business who had events set for the SuperBowl and Valentine's day.

There are still many without electric. The storm that started on Wednesday affected New Castle more that Sussex and Kent this time. But, I don't think any of us here in Sussex County felt neglected by this storm either. We've had more snow in one week that we've had in years. I've lived in Rehoboth Beach the majority of my 5o years and I can't recall being hit with snow storms like this. Thankfully, a State of Emergency was declared that kept people off the roads or be fined. Being stuck on the roads in this weather could have really devastating results.

State workers are set to go to work as scheduled tomorrow, Friday. I'll be glad in a way to get back in. The only problem is having to take my son in the opposite direction from work and come back, all on back roads that aren't clear. At least if there was a delay of an hour or two it would give the temperature a chance to risel, and possibly the roads would be less slippery and the chance of black ice would be lessened. In the last few years I've seen a good number of vehicles flipped over or in accidents due to black ice. You just can't see it and by the time you realize you've hit a patch of it, it's too late to really slow down or avoid it. I am, however, very glad to have a job in a time when people having none or losing the jobs they have, has become a very serious matter.

Wade and I went for a walk today and I took some pictures. I'll try to post some on this post. We had to walk down the middle of the street as no sidewalks are clear. We saw "Mr. Milton" and took pictures of him while some community members were snowboarding down the hill in the part that "Mr. Milton" resides in. I also took a closer looks at the signs across the street from "Mr. Milton's" park and the pond is not called "Milton Pond" as I think I said it was in my first or second post. It's called "Waggamon's Pond". I think it has two "g's" and not one, but I can't totally remember. And the fishing area across the street from it is called the Milton Fishing Pier. It's a stone's throw away from "Mr. Milton's statue.

Right now, I have to get ready for work tomorrow, so I will say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment